Point of Contact Firearms Program-FAQs

Click on the desired question to receive the answer.

1. How can I have a firearm checked to determine it is not stolen?

Please contact your local law enforcement agency and ask for them to check on your weapon. Currently there is no one agency that does checks for this information in the State of Nevada.

2. I tried to buy a gun from a licensed dealer (FFL) and was delayed, why?

There is no one single answer for this question. If there are any questions regarding information or missing information on a person’s background check the Point of Contact Firearms Program staff will delay the background. This could be anything up to and including computer issues and/or arrests missing dispositions. The Point of Contact Firearms Program has 3 business days to research these cases.

3. I was delayed when I tried to buy a gun from a licensed dealer (FFL), will you call me with the answer?

No – The Point of Contact Firearms Program will contact the FFL associated with your background check with the status of the transaction on the third business day. Information regarding your status will not be available before that third business day. It is up to the FFL to notify you of your background status.

4. Why am I denied/unresolved?

You must complete the Request Information Regarding Your Deny or Unresolved Status  form and submit it to the Point of Contact Firearms Program either by mail to 333 West Nye Lane, Carson City, NV 89706, fax 775-687-3419, or email to bradycustomersupport@dps.state.nv.us A response will be returned to you by mail via the United State Postal Service to the address provided within 5 business days for denied cases and within 45 business days for unresolved cases after receipt of your request. We are unable to fax or email responses. Please allow time for the mail delivery before calling or sending an additional request as the mail is routed through the State of Nevada mailroom.

5. What does Unresolved mean?

The Point of Contact Firearms Program is unable to reach a Deny or Proceed status, further research will be conducted for up to 90 days. An Unresolved/Open response does not prohibit an FFL from transferring a firearm after three business days have elapsed since the FFL initiated the background check with the Point of Contact Firearms Program. Release of a firearm for a person in an Unresolved status is at the discretion of the FFL.

6. Does Unresolved mean I’m breaking the law by owning firearms?

Not Necessarily – An unresolved status does not mean you are federally disqualified from owning or purchasing a firearm, it means the Point of Contact Firearms Program was unable to reach a Proceed or a Deny status.

7. Are there gun dealers in Nevada that will release to a person who is Unresolved?

Yes – But please be aware the Point of Contact Firearms Program does not maintain records of what Federal Firearm Licensed dealers will release on an unresolved background check. It is up to the potential purchaser to ask the federal firearm dealer themselves if they will release on an unresolved.

8. What happens if I answer yes to any of questions 11.b thru 11.l on the 4473?

These questions are to establish if you are subject to one of the 10 federal prohibitors. By marking yes to one of these questions the FFL should not proceed with the background check as this is admission to a disqualification. For additional information regarding ATF form 4473, please visit the following link: ATF Form 4473 Information.

9. What are the reasons I could be denied?

The 10 federal disqualifications are:  

  • 922(g)1 – Person who has been convicted in any court of, a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year
  • 922(g)2 – Person who is a fugitive from justice
  • 922(g)3 – Person who is an unlawful users of or addicted to any controlled substance (as defined in section 102 of the Controlled Substances Act (21 U.S.C. 802))
  • 922(g)4 – Person who has been adjudicated as a mental defective or have been committed to a mental institution
  • 922(g)5 – Person who, being an alien, is illegally or unlawfully in the United States
  • 922(g)6 – Person who has been discharged from the U.S. Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions
  • 922(g)7 – Person who, having been citizens of the United States, has renounced their U.S. citizenship
  • 922(g)8 – Person who is subject to a court order that restrains them from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner or child of such intimate partner, or from engaging in other conduct that would place the partner or child in reasonable fear of bodily injury
  • 922(g)9 – Person who has been convicted in any court of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence
  • 922(n) – Person who is under indictment or information for any crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year

9. Continued

Specific to the State of Nevada 

  • Felony/Gross Misdemeanor Probation – Weapons: You shall not possess, have access to, or have under your control, any type of weapon.  

Per N.R.S. 202.360, the State of Nevada does not recognize the “restoration of firearms rights” from another state, a person wishing to regain firearm rights for the State of Nevada needs to be in possession of pardon from the state of conviction that does not restrict his or her firearm rights, as shown below.

  • N.R.S. 202.360:  

         1.  A person shall not own or have in his or her possession or under his or her custody or control any firearm if the person:

              (a) Has been convicted of a felony in this or any other state, or in any political subdivision thereof, or of a felony in violation of the laws of the United States of America, unless the person has received a pardon and the pardon does not restrict his or her right to bear arms;  

10. How do I appeal my deny status?

  • Please note: this process is only for Denied cases, the FBI is unable to process appeals for Unresolved cases.

11. I have a CCW from another state, does Nevada recognize it?

Please see this list for your answer, Nevada recognition list 

12. Who do I contact with CCW Questions?

  • Questions about CCW can be referred to the Nevada Sheriffs' and Chiefs' Association or the Nevada Department of Public Safety.  For information on obtaining a CCW permit or applying to be a CCW instructor contact the Sheriff's Office in the county you reside in. If you are   a non-resident applying for a Nevada CCW permit contact the Sheriff's Office of the county you are going to be applying in.  Please note all training MUST be conducted in Nevada to obtain a non-resident permit. 

13. What are the criteria for Nevada to recognize another state’s permit?

  • For Nevada to recognize another state's permit that state must require a person to complete any training, class or program before the issuance of permit to carry a concealed firearm in that state . Secondly, that state must have an electronic data base which identifies each individual who possesses a valid permit to carry a concealed weapon in that state and which a law enforcement officer in Nevada may access at all times through a national law enforcement telecommunications system.

14. How does someone from out of state travel with their firearms in Nevada?

  • There are no restrictions on carrying a firearm in a vehicle in the state of Nevada.  The weapon is only considered concealed if it is carried on or about the person.  It is recommended the weapon be in a secure location and safe firearm handling procedures are followed.

15. I think I might be prohibited, but I’m not sure. How can I find out if there is something in my background that will prohibit me from purchasing a firearm?

  • For a State of Nevada criminal history please contact 775-684-6262 or go to


  • For an FBI criminal history go to


If you have a question that was not addressed above, please see https://www.atf.gov/questions-and-answers/firearms-qas to see if the ATF has an answer for you on their site.

Yes. A criminal history records check can be done at a local sheriff's office or police department but, in accordance with Nevada statutes, the response will only include records specific to that office or department.

16. If you have a question that was not addressed above, please see https://www.atf.gov/questions-and-answers/firearms-qas to see if the ATF has an answer for you on their site.

Click here to access the ATF FAQ page.