Frequently Asked Questions

Click on the desired question to receive the answer.

1. What information is included in a Nevada Criminal History Record?

Pursuant to Nevada Revised Statutes (NRS) 179.070, a criminal history record is defined as: Information contained in records collected and maintained by agencies of criminal justice, the subject of which is a natural person, consisting of descriptions which identify the subject and notations of arrests, detention, indictments, information or other formal criminal charges and dispositions of charges, including dismissals, acquittals, convictions, sentences, correctional supervision occurring in Nevada, information concerning the status of an offender on parole or probation, and information concerning a convicted person who has registered as such pursuant to chapter 179C of NRS. The term includes only information contained in memoranda of formal transactions between a person and an agency of criminal justice in this state. The term is intended to be equivalent to the phrase "criminal history record information" as used in federal regulations.

2. What information is not included in a Nevada Criminal History Record?

A record of criminal history does not include:

  • Investigative or intelligence information, reports of crime or other information concerning specific persons collected in the course of the enforcement of criminal laws.  
  • Information concerning juveniles.  
  • Posters, announcements or lists intended to identify fugitives or wanted persons and aid in their apprehension.  
  • Original records of entry maintained by agencies of criminal justice if the records are chronological and not cross-indexed in any other way.  
  • Records of application for and issuance, suspension, revocation or renewal of occupational licenses, including permits to work in the gaming insutry.  
  • Court indices and records of public judicial proceedings, court decisions and opinions, and information disclosed during public judicial proceedings.  
  • Records of traffic violations constituting misdemeanors.  
  • Records of traffic offenses maintained by the department of to regulate the issuance, suspension, revocation or renewal of drivers' or other operators' licenses.  
  • Announcements of actions by the state board of pardons commissioners and the state board of parole commissioners, except information concerning the status of an offender on parole or probation.  
  • Records which originated in an agency other than an agency of criminal justice in this state. 

3. Are Nevada Criminal History Records Available to the public?

Yes. Any person may request a copy of his or her own criminal history record or notice of absence of criminal history record from the Nevada Criminal History Repository pursuant to NRS 179A.100.5(b). The information provided will be based upon the person's fingerprints obtained at the time of the person's arrest and corresponding dispositions of arrests, as of 1987. In order to obtain a criminal history record prior to 1987, a request would have to be made of the arresting agency. If a request is received from anyone other than the person who is the subject of the criminal history record, dissemination by the Criminal History Repository is regulated by the Nevada Revised Statutes and Federal regulations.

4. Who maintains the records?

Criminal history records are maintained by Central Repository for Nevada Records of Criminal History, housed within the Department of Public Safety's Records, Communications and Compliance Division, Records Bureau, at 333 West Nye Lane, Suite 100 in Carson City, Nevada (775) 684-6262. In 1985, the Repository was designated by the Nevada Legislature to be the central storage hub for Nevada records of criminal history.

5. Are these Nevada records only?

Yes, these records have originated in a criminal justice agency in Nevada. They do not include records from other states or the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

6. How do I make a request?

An individual may request his or her State of Nevada criminal history record or notice of no criminal history record from the Criminal History Repository by submitting the following documents:

  • A complete rolled ten print fingerprint card;  
  • A completed ID form DPS-006, and  
  • A money order or cashier's check made payable to the Department of Public Safety Records, Communications and Compliance Division. Click here for the current fee schedule. 

Fingerprinting services may be obtained from a law enforcement agency or any authorized fingerprinting service. The ID form DPS-006 can be obtained by clicking on this DPS-006 link, by mail, fax or in person from the Records, Communications and Compliance. The DPS contact address and telephone number is:

Department of Public Safety

Records, Communications and Compliance Division
333 West Nye Lane, Suite 100
Carson City, Nevada 89706
Phone: (775) 684-6262

7. Is there a fee to get a copy of my Nevada criminal history record?

Yes. Click here for the current fees. A money order or cashier's check, in the exact amount must accompany each request. Upon approval, those entities or facilities which conduct numerous transactions with the Criminal History Repository have the option of establishing an account whereby they are billed monthly. The fees, set in accordance with statute, are used to fund the Records Bureau's operations in order to maintain and disseminate the data in a timely fashion.

8. How do I pay?

Payment be made by money order or cashier's check payable to the Department of Public Safety Records, Communications and Compliance Division.

9. How long does it take for my request to be processed?

The Criminal History Repository processes a request within 30 calendar days, but please allow approximately two additional weeks for mail and delivery.

10. Who pays if my employer requires that a record check be done?

This can vary depending on the employer's policies, and in some cases, the state statute that requires the background check. Please contact your employer and/or the licensing board that requires the background check to inquire as to fee responsibility.

11. Can I phone in a request?

No. The Criminal History Repository's policy requires that the request be in writing and that it be accompanied by a complete rolled ten print fingerprint card. Requests by facsimile are not accepted for the same reasons.

12. Can I get access to the FBI records?

13. Can I get access to records in other states?

The laws in each state are different. Some states have open records, while others are very restricted. You would have to contact each state's criminal history records repository to obtain information about their access laws.

14. Do I need to sign a waiver to authorize a background check?

Yes. All applicants must provide written authorization to their employer and/or licensing board prior to their fingerprints being taken. The DPS-created Civil Applicant waiver fulfills all of the FBI’s requirements for the applicant’s informed consent.

15. What if an applicant refuses to sign the waiver?

A request can still be made without a signed waiver, but the records will consist only of conviction records.

16. Is a deferred sentence a conviction?

Not necessarily. If the subject successfully completes a probationary period they are not convicted of the charges. They should have been notified by the court that they have successfully completed probation and have a document to that effect.

17. Can I go to the local sheriff or police department for a criminal records check?

Yes. A criminal history records check can be done at a local sheriff's office or police department but, in accordance with Nevada statutes, the response will only include records specific to that office or department.

18. What do I need to do to seal my criminal history record?

A.  Obtain copy of your Nevada criminal history record:  

    • Fill out DPS 006 form, found on our website   
    • Have fingerprints taken at local sheriff’s department, police department, or a private fingerprint agency  
    • Mail DPS 006 form, fingerprints, and fee into the Records, Communications and Compliance Division   

B. Contact District Attorney’s office in the county you were arrested in.  

    • They will provide instruction on how to petition the court for sealing of records.  

C. Upon issuance of the court order signed by the judge submit all paperwork to the Records Bureau and to any and all agencies aware of the arrest.  

    • Do not send any correspondence to the FBI, the Records, Communications and Compliance Division is responsible for this step.


19. What if I believe my record has an error on it?

After receiving your Nevada criminal history record, you may challenge any information you feel is in error, and submit a request for its correction. To do so you may come to the Records, Communications and Compliance Division in person or submit a request in writing to:

Department of Public Safety
Records, Communications and Compliance Division
333 West Nye Lane, Suite 100
Carson City, NV 89706

Records, Communications and Compliance Division staff will research the request and respond to you by mail. If it is determined that the information is erroneous, the corrections will be made at the Records, Communications and Compliance Division. The FBI will be notified of the corrections. Please note that the Criminal History Repository can only make corrections to information which originated from Nevada criminal justice agencies. To obtain corrections on information which originated outside of Nevada, you will need to contact the FBI and/or the criminal history records repository of other states. 

20. Who do I call if I have any questions concerning criminal history records?

If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact the Records, Communications and Compliance
 Division at (775) 684-6262.